3/04/2012

Addition to Drapes in Guest Bedroom

Have you ever been nagged about something that you made that
 just isn't 'right' to you? 
Well, I have.
 First of all, the window in my blue guest bedroom was built almost up against a wall...(I call it my blue guest bedroom because the ceilings are painted a soft blue and the bedding is blue)
Do you see how close it is to the next wall? Frustrating to make curtains for when the look you are going for is drapery panels. Plus, I don't want to close up the window with curtains because this room is large but the window isn't as large as it should be for this space in my opinion. I know why the builder did it. To make the outside look symmetrical. Look how good the outside looks...
The window in question is the upper left.

Initially, I made silk drapes for only one side. To make it appear that the drapes were just pulled open to one side...(sorry for the poor picture quality. I have not figured out how to take a picture when the camera is pointing to light from the window)
I even made three of those swag valances and ended up only using one. It has always nagged me.That is until I saw this picture on Houzz.com. Do you know about that site? Talk about beautiful homes and ideas you can get on that site!
Box Pleated Valances with Buttons, Woven Roller Shades & Pleated Panels traditional family room
traditional family room design by boston interior designer Michelle Jamieson Interiors / New England Style

See the little pleated valance behind the panel? Was that the solution to my problem? I didn't have any more fabric, so by cutting up the two unused swag valances, I made the little pleated valance and used Velcro to attach it to the molding on the window.


 Now you can tell me if it helps or not. Be honest, I can take it!

These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Party Time @ It's So Very Cheri
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple 

It's Party Time @ Northern Cottage
Show Off Your Cottage Monday @ The house in the roses
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage 
Creative Blogger's Party @ Homemaker On A Dime
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home
Knick of Time Tuesday @ Knick of Time
Turning the Daunting Into Doable Tuesday @ Project Queen
Twice Owned Tuesday @ House Of Grace
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

Time to Shine Tuesday @ A Diamond in the Stuff 
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia 
Trash 2 Treasure @ Sassy Sites
Northern Cottage Party Tuesday @ Northern Cottage
Be Inspired Party @ Elizabeth & Co.
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
Swing Into Spring Wednesday @ DIY by Design
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm

Overflowing with Creativity @ It's Overflowing
Rock N Share Wednesday @ The Shady Porch
Show and Share @ Lil Pink Pocket 
Link Up Wednesday @ Junk in their Trunk
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage

Show & Share @ Southern Lovely
Open House Thursday @ No Minimalist Here
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage

From Trash To Treasure Thursday @ Alchemy Fine Living
100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence

Blog Stalking Thursday @ The Crafty Blog Stalker
Cottage Flora Thursday @ Fishtail Cottage
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed

Fridays Unfolded @ Stuff and Nonsense

Potpourri Friday @ 2805
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest

Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Inspiration Friday @ At The Picket Fence
Free For All Party @ Five Days, Five Ways
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Any Link Goes Party @ Bacon Time With The Hungry Hungry Hypo 
Weekend WrapUp Party @ Tatertots and Jello 
Serenity Saturday @ Serenity You
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal 

Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn 
Sundae Scoop Weekend Wrap Up Party @ I love Nap Time 
Sunday Blog Love @ Cherished Treasures
So Darn Crafty Party @ Sew Many Ways
Sunday's Best Wrap Up Party @ My 1929 Charmer 

Before and After Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick

14 comments:

  1. Your drapes are beautiful. I have the same problem with 2 bedrooms, having the windows so close to the wall. You have a gorgeous home...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found the perfect solution. The whole window treatment is gorgeous!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great solution and looks wonderful in your room. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you hit the nail right on the head with the window treatment! Looks wonderful, I never thought about a window so close to the wall but looking up from my lap top I have one.lol Visiting from Show Us Your Cottage!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like it!

    I'd love for you to pop by for a visit. I am hosting a $50 Kirklands Giftcard Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just what was needed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks pretty. Have you ever considered dropping something similar from the ceiling - or a bit below ceiling - like 2 ft soft pleated cornice (like what you just made) and then eliminate any treatment on the side? That is certainly a tricky corner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had this problem also. I made a longer valance, that lined up with the drapery pole, (under it, not on it). It hung down, like yours, but was a longer pleated valance. I felt it made the area look more complete.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful job. This whole room is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done! You know, it would be so neat if you could find a mirror the same size as your window and place it on the corner wall, dress it like you've done your window including your clever valance. Just a thought and it might work. Your room is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is a wonderful solution! And such a beautiful room! I'm now a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your Window Treatments, they are just beautiful. I think hanging another Panel like the one you have up now and keep them pulled back with about a foot spread would make it look bigger. Also, extend the Rod to the right of the window as far as you can, yes the window will look offset, but will be covered by magically redirecting them symetrically.
    Thanks for the tips, I love your Blog and will be coming back to visit.
    Dee B

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it looks beautiful! Problem solved! Love it!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10