6/24/2011

A load of antique shutters

Serendipity recently happened to me! A lovely couple, Sue and Frank, found my blog quite by accident. She was getting ready for a huge burning party along with her neighbor. They had many (and I mean a lot) of old shutters to burn.

Sue had seen on my blog, where my young and cute, handy dandy handyman had taken my dream and made it into reality of a shutter headboard.
My master bedroom
Sue then contacted me after realizing that we had actually met five years prior at my hubby's grandma's home and we live within 30 minutes of each other. It was fun talking to Sue because she is a ball of fire and is from England. I adore her accent and her determination.

Sue and Frank are great do-it-yourself kind of people and have completely renovated and added onto their old farmhouse.  So why don't they want these shutter's? Luckily for me, they offered them up for the taking. We don't have a pick-up anymore so we took our CRV and went for a wonderful tour of their renovated home. We brought back all that would fit (24 shutters) and there are probably about that many more left.
Here are Some of the shutters we brought home.



So for now, we are using some as decor behind our swing at the back of our property. Hubby actually thought of this idea without my prodding! Great idea Hon.
And we hinged some together for accent on our front porch.
Isn't the green patina of the shutters looking fine with the red of the brick?


Hydrangea's from the garden


I have this idea for some of them that would require assistance from my young and cute, handy dandy handyman. Some shutters will become bookcases sort of like this...
We so appreciated our day spent with Sue and Frank. Stop by anytime Sue! 

Anyone interested in old shutters?

NOTE: You should be able to click on most of the pictures to enlarge to see further details.
These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Party Time @ It's So Very Cheri
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
Creative Blogger's Party @ Homemaker On A Dime
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle 
Twice Owned Tuesday @ House Of Grace
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

Time to Shine Tuesday @ A Diamond in the Stuff 
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia 
Trash 2 Treasure @ Sassy Sites
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
Swing Into Spring Wednesday @ DIY by Design
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage

Open House Thursday @ No Minimalist Here
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage

From Trash To Treasure Thursday @ Alchemy Fine Living
100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence

Cottage Flora Thursday @ Fishtail Cottage
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed

Remodelaholic Friday @ Remodelaholic
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest

Look What I Found Friday @ Vintage Revivals
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Weekend WrapUp Party @ Tatertots and Jello
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal 

Any Link Goes Party @ Bacon Time With The Hungry Hungry Hypo 
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn
 
Sundae Scoop Weekend Wrap Up Party @ I love Nap Time 
Sunday Blog Love @ Cherished Treasures
Before and After Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick

18 comments:

  1. You go Girl!! Love seeing the shutter projects. Don't be surprised if I eventually come up with one of my own.
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shutters on the porch..especially that they are different sizes! Great idea. And lucky you girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you luck out, Terry! I love the color of them. Great idea on the porch and I'll bet you come up with a lot of ideas for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always nice to hear a win/win story. The adage, One man's trash is another's treasure, sure is seen here.

    Luck was on both of your sides with this.

    Love the 'backdrop' idea and the do look great on your porch.

    I'd love to be able to do something like that. Thanks for sharing Tery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see the bookcase project. I love what you did with the shutters on your porch and behind your swing on the lawn. *nice*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri, What a find! So nice of Sue.
    YOur hubby did an awesome job making a backdrop for your outdoor vignette! I just love your bookcase idea. Hope you post all the how-to's when it is done.
    Thanks for stopping by StoneGable and entering the Mikasa giveaway!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky, lucky, lucky! I want to find some too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old shutters! What a stash you have!
    Your headboard is gorgeous! And in the yard, so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love shutters! You did a great job with all of yours. You really meet some nice people through blogging! Tell Sue she needs to get a blog and show all of us her house!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! Just Lovely. You are one lucky girl to have such a guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great eye and ideas too! Love the headboard and other "shutter shots"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the way you used the shutters you lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog. So glad they found their way to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found your blog while searching for images of "Antique Shutters." I love your ideas, and am inspired by your creativity and talent.

    I have been given about 20 kitchen window shutters, but want to find enough more to hinge them together to make a mostly-decorative backyard fence.

    What did your "young and cute, handy dandy handyman" treat them with so they will withstand the sun and rain?

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the stuff look beautiful just the way it is... You did great with all of yours.


    window shutters clayton, ca

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a nice blog. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10