4/22/2011

Making of a Fountain

We wanted a fountain off our patio.
Just imagine hearing the soft trickle of water to soothe the soul. Ahhhhhhhhh!
But how can we make it without spending much money? Here we go with trial and error...
Above is the final look that we currently have, but we didn't start there so forget that you just saw this picture to get an idea of how we did this.
First, we dug a hole deep and big enough to bury a large plastic tote used for storage.
Here I was cleaning out the tote like I have to do every spring.
Then I purchased three bar-b-q grill replacement grates at the local discount store. I used these grates to cover the top of the plastic tote.
I put a fountain pump in the bottom of the tote before I covered it with the grates.
I topped the grates with small decorative rock. This hid the grate and the grate kept the rocks from falling through. Be sure that your rocks are big enough that they won't fall through the grate.
I then put a Shepard hook at the back middle of the area and ran the water tube up the hook and into an old watering can that hung from the hook.

It was like a science experiment trying to get the water to flow from the spout of the watering can instead of overflowing out of the top of the can. We had to drill some bit bigger holes in the spout to compensate for the water flow rate.
This worked for a few months but notice the water splashing on the cement patio above? What would happen is, the wind would blow the water flowing out of the can and it would overshoot the holding tank under the rocks and make the water go dry. This is not a good design because that will ruin a pump and they are not cheap. Ours was about $40.  So I knew that I had to come up with a different design.
I surfed the internet (eBay) and found a guy selling fiberglas made rocks for fountains. I purchased a rock-looking shell with a hole in the top for only $17. I took it to the hardware store and in the plumbing department, I found PVC fittings that would work in the hole of the 'rock' and then be able to attach the hose that would feed the water from the pump. I hope that I am not confusing you too much here.
Anyway, our fountain became a nice sweet sounding bubbler fountain. I pour Clorox over the rock periodically when green mossy stuff begins to grow and that takes care of it. I have to fill the water tote periodically due to natural evaporation. And I only have to clean it out every spring since I take the pump out and store it for our winter months.
This is a sweet soft sounding water fall...

I've got to tell you it is so fun to watch the birds land on the 'rock' and take a bath in the fountain instead of using the bird bath close by.
I put landscaping lights pointing at the fountain so we can enjoy it at night, inside or out.
Here's a little friend that found a home in the rock wall by the patio!

NOTE: You should be able to click on most of the pictures to enlarge to see further details.
These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Party Time @ It's So Very Cheri
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
Creative Blogger's Party @ Homemaker On A Dime
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle 
Twice Owned Tuesday @ House Of Grace
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

Time to Shine Tuesday @ A Diamond in the Stuff 
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia 
Trash 2 Treasure @ Sassy Sites
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
Swing Into Spring Wednesday @ DIY by Design
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage

Open House Thursday @ No Minimalist Here
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed

Remodelaholic Friday @ Remodelaholic
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest

Look What I Found Friday @ Vintage Revivals
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Weekend WrapUp Party @ Tatertots and Jello
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Strut Your Stuff @ The Saturday Morning Blog
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal 
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn
 
Sundae Scoop Weekend Wrap Up Party @ I love Nap Time 
Before and After Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Celebrating Your Talent @ Passionately Artistic   

14 comments:

  1. I had to come see!...I want a fountain soooo bad,looks like we might need to try this,It is fantastic.
    Love.love.love this fountain.
    Happy Easter
    Be Blessed
    ~Jo
    Lazy on Loblolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry,
    love the new fountain, must be so relaxing to watch and hear the water trickle!
    I'm jealous
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool. I have a bird bath and to stop the moss from growing I put in copper pennies. Don't know if it will work in the pond. Maybe just a piece of copper tubing would work. I had a magazine that had that kind of stuff in it but at the moment I can't find it. If I do, I'll let U know. Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found it....it is gardeners.com
    "The natural way to keep your pond clean & sparkling clear." Page 50
    They claim it's barley straw and keeps water clear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to hear water, too. You will have a lot more little friends.
    Thanks for the info on transplanting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice fountain. You will enjoy the sound of the water --very soothing!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really lovely and great for the wild life bless Mr toad ;-) You have a lovely large garden. Have a lovely weekend, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice is that fountain! You did a great job and it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a neat fountain~ so relaxing and wonderful! I love it~ you must absolutely love sitting near it! Thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it, it is beautiful and very creative. You are right, there is nothing more soothing than water fountain.
    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I want one, thanks for the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE making fountains! Yours turned out great; I like the second incarnation with the bubbler rock the best. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am super excited about this because I have wanted a fountain forever, but never thought I could afford a nice one, but this one is great! I have a perfect space for this and I am definitely putting one in..>Thank you sooooo much :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's like one of the HGTV shows :) Great job on the fountain. Really appreciate you sharing this great post with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10